Thursday, September 26, 2013

Networking

So, I'm sitting in my Information Systems (basic) Networking class and I'm bored. We're covering things I taught myself a few years back. Still, I guess its important to be somewhat present, I mean, that's what networks are all about. If a host isn't connected, it can't reap the benefits of being jacked into the network.

This is a parallel with human interactions. Much has been said of the similarities between the brain and a computer over the years. I agree with this analysis. Connecting with other human beings is networking and its more similar to computer networking than many people realize. A group conversation is like a token-ring, star, bus, or other network style. We sit in a circle and have a conversation, generally speaking, two people cannot speak to the same person at exactly the same time and expect a correct response. This is like data collision in a network.

We have to be "logged in" to truly experience life. Sure, sometimes its nice to disconnect and refresh oneself as an individual. To be completely fulfilled as a human being, however, we must take part in social interactions.

So, think of yourself as a computer on an ethernet connection. Make sure you're plugged in!

No comments:

Post a Comment