Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Trying to stretch my creative muscles

I've been thinking it might be best to at least write a couple short stories before I dive into a novel. The idea is to get my creative juices moving prior to taking on such a challenge as writing 50,000 words in 30 days. My problem is simply this: I don't know what to write about.

Now, many people would say, quite simply, "you have writer's block." I don't believe this. In fact, I don't even believe in "writer's block." I know, I know, all the writers out there are going to take affront to this, but let me explain. To me, writer's block is self-inflicted and doesn't really exist. Writer's block occurs when one convinces themselves they've run out of ideas for the time being. It is a sham and one that is so widely reported that its hard not to believe in it. The best way to get over perceived writer's block is simply to write.

So, I'm going to do just that. Its more easily said than done, I suppose, but all one has to do is take the first idea that shoots into one's mind and run with it. Its not so different, really, from writing a blog. Sure, fiction needs to be made up and not just a reflection of what you're thinking, but that's not so hard for a writer. For many of us, fiction is more real than the world around us. I know when I'm working feverishly on a story of mine it feels much more like I'm working IN that world. Its almost as if I'm Aslan at the creation of Narnia. Every touch, every whim I have, becomes a new creation. My worlds often seem like a better place to live than our mundane world. 

In any  case, I need to finish this up so I can work on some fiction. Wish me luck and I'll wish you luck as well! Have a fine day and happy writing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment