Monday, October 14, 2013

Fool's Gold Prologue

So, my first novel is tentatively entitled "Fool's Gold" though I am looking for a much better title than that. As promised, here is the excerpt. It has not been edited in anyway from its original Rough Draft form except to add one paragraph at the beginning. So, take it in that manner. I will share a link to the novel in its entirety on fictionpress.com a the bottom of this blog entry. For those of you that wish to "beta-test" the book feel free to head on over there.
Please share you comments and reviews if you have anything to say! I hope you enjoy and Happy Reading!
Note that this material is DEFINITELY not public domain. It is COPYRIGHT Adam King 2013. However, you may all share this excerpt as much as you like as long as you properly attribute it and maintain the copyright notice, please.

Prologue

Before Pyrite came in and pulled our city up by the roots life was good. I mean, I was homeless and on the streets, but life was good. We got by and never really starved. Showers were far in between as were clean sheets. Still, those things are for the privileged. We certainly weren’t that and life was still good. Everything began to change when the man in the suit came to see us.
He sat down on the sagging couch. We all exchanged looks. Nobody sat on that damn couch. For one thing it smelled awful. Second, it had bugs. We only kept the thing around for appearances. That tarp-walled house needed to look comfortable. Our real comfort was in the protection from rain and wind. The cement of the overpass above kept rain away. Old blue tarps hanging from clothesline poles and basketball hoops kept out wind. We had a pretty nice setup for homeless really. There were even doors and windows fashioned from doubled up pieces of tarp.
I looked to the newcomer; grinned at his ignorance and idiocy. The guy wore a suit to the slums for fuckssake. His gray houndstooth jacket was offset by bright cuff links and silver Rolex. A gray fedora-type hat made him all but a stereotype of organized crime. A red tie stood out against a black shirt. This man probably couldn’t help us, but it was worth trying. He supposedly had connections to some new synthetic drug. Designers were all the rage in those days. Ecstasy was old news, people wanted some new shit.
“What you got for us?” I said, perhaps a bit rougher than I should.
“Something new,” was all he said. He looked to Meggs. In that instant I really hated him. Sure, Meggs was the oldest. She ran things from behind the scenes, keeping all us youngsters from going too nutso. I was the face of the Crew. I should be respected by getting direct attention.
“What in particular, my friend?” Meggs asked.
The guy hesitated, reluctance was written all over his frame. He fidgeted and looked around the dirt-ridden house. I looked at Meggs and rolled my eyes.
“Well, miss,” he began, “it’s a sort of chemical made in a lab…”
“We were told it would get people high,” I cut across.
“It is a psychoactive substance, yes. It’s cheap and easy to make and there are legitimate companies interested in marketing it. We, however, would prefer to keep it quiet and not flood the market.”
“That’s where we come in?” Meggs.
“Yes, of course.”
“What’s our cost?”
“Nothing initially, just distribute it for us. Our cut will be 33%; you need the money more than we. We know you do not have…” here he cleared his throat. I hated him even more. At least have the guts to call it what it was: we were dirt poor. “…Much to offer in terms of monetary gains for startup. We have our own ways of making money anyway.”
“Alright, but there must be a catch,” Me, butting in again, adamant he should recognize my place.
“No catch. Well, other than this. The very principles of the chemical are…well, a bit dangerous. It is exceedingly addictive and over-use leads to violent outbursts. Still, one must be on the verge of overdose to get to that level. This drug, luckily, isn’t one that people usually want to repeat using right away. Its power is such that at least a few hours rest is usually desired. Still, I could not, in good conscience, neglect to mention this.”
“Shit, meth does all that other than make you not want to use it again,” I said. Meggs looked at me, stern. I pursed my lips and looked back to the man. He was finally acknowledging me.
“Yes, that is true. This, however, is more of a mental drug. It is a stimulant, but it causes more introspection. It isn’t a party drug in the sense that cocaine, methamphetamine, and ecstasy are,” he said, grinning.
Meggs and I looked at each other and at the other two Crew members.
“Thank you for coming down here, sir. We are much obliged. Are there other groups your company is interested in employing for these purposes? Or could we have a day to think it over? We make it a point not to make these kinds of deals without the whole family being here,” Meggs said, the epitome of politeness.
The man’s eyes pinched the slightest bit. He didn’t like the situation, but it was clear there weren’t many options.
“There are other factions we could contact,” he said, “but they are all gangs. We would prefer to invest in one of the more fringe-groups, such as you. The more law-abiding people, though that, of course, is used loosely. So, yes, I see no issue with coming back down here tomorrow at this hour. Will that be sufficient time?” He smiled, but we could tell it was a little forced. This guy disliked dealing with our lot that much was obvious.
“Oh, of course! That will work splendidly!” Meggs said, smiling more widely than the visitor. Her voice mimicked his affluent tone.
The gentleman relaxed noticeably, nodded twice, then shook our hands and left the house. We all looked around at each other and laughed. Once he was out of earshot we laughed louder. That couch was disgusting. It would be a shock if the man didn’t bring some fleas home to his wife and kiddos. That was our revenge for his disdain. It was a small thing, but satisfying.
Meggs tipped a wink at me and smiled.
“Sorry for the stinkeye bit, Zippo. This could be big money though!”
“I know. I just hate those snooty bigshot corporate sellouts.”
“We all do, girly.”
I sighed and nodded. Then, clapping my cousin Noffy on the shoulder, I flounced down onto the queen mattress we shared. My electric green hair flopped. I hadn’t bothered to gel it up into its customary mohawk. It hung down one side of my freckly pale face. The green clashed terribly with my pink shirt and yellow jeans. That was OK though. I always preferred to stand out, even sorethumb-like.
“We’re in the money now, eh Noffs!?” I asked, jubilant to play off his somber appearance.
He stared straight ahead, a crooked little grin just pulling at one lip corner. Glasseyed, zombieish, and gothic in his dress, Noffy was the antithesis of my flamboyancy. My older cousin had been a chilled out pothead while I was still in third grade. His calm demeanor balanced my hotheaded attitude. Black hair, dyed that way as the brown roots testified, hung down, greasy, over a turned up collared shirt and a tweed jacket. I hated that jacket, leather elbow patches and all. Whenever Noffy wore it I made sure to poke him in the ribs and call him “Professor.” He didn’t care. He didn’t seem to care about anything.
“I guess. Still, man, what’s money really?” he asked.
I rolled my eyes and tousled his hair. That’s the one thing he really hated.
“Oh lighten up you fuckin’ beatnik.”
He sighed and toked up a joint. I flinched away from the lighter. Jerk was paying me back for touching his hair. I couldn’t stand open flames. Everyone thought it was the height of irony that my nickname was shared with a lighter brand.
“What’s light but a lack of darkness Zipps?”
“Most people say that the other way around, bro.”
He nodded.
“I’m not most people.”
I nodded, emulating his high. I took the joint and pulled on it.
“Yea, man, we’re all one though didn’t you know?” I said pitching my voice husky and slow.
He laughed; he loved it when I tried to be a hippy surfer pothead.
“Yea, dude, I guess. Most people don’t know that though,” he said.
It was my turn to laugh. This was good kicks. I passed the roach back and looked around. Meggs had stepped out while Noffy and I shared banter. She probably had some walking to do. I was sure she’d be thinking about the deal on her own before we all argued about it. Zag hulked in the corner, leaning against a precariously tilting tarp wall, muscles dragging the plastic outward. Usually he would be more involved, but he was on shrooms that morning. His pupils were hubcaps as he stared around the house.
“Yo, Zag! You doin’ OK over there?” I asked.
It took him a second to find the source of my voice. When he finally looked at me he just nodded vaguely and giggled. He sat up more straight.
“I almost melted into the wall there, man, you saved my life,” he said, collapsing into a true fit of laughter.
I couldn’t help but laugh with him. Noffy passed me the joint and I took a couple huge hits. Coughing, I wiped my eyes, tears eked out the corners. I was laughing as hard as Zag and I was only stoned. Even Noff joined in. This was even better kicks than the suitguy.
“What you seein’ out there in the cosmos, bro?” Noffy.
“Man, I see the universe.”
“Truth,” Noff muttered.
“I guess,” I said, chiming in.
The two boys looked at me, Zag with his strawberry straw hair and patched denim. They laughed harder than ever. I don’t know why, but apparently a chick joining the conversation was funny as cold shit on a penguin’s ass. I laughed right along with them, it was fuckin’ funny I guess.
Those were the good days. It was before everything got real complicated and after we’d settled into our family. It was just the five of us. We’d carved out a good little slice of hell and were OK with it. That overpass shanty we called the Cave was just right. Our Crew fit in just cozy enough to stay warm in the winter but with enough space to chill out in the summer. The windows stayed open from May to October usually and we slept outside a lot. We lived in the armpit of California and summers were fucking hot.
When I look back on that year or so of the good times I feel good. Sure, it’s sad those times are over, but it was a major period in my life. Those months shaped me more than my entire broken childhood. My pierced lip, constantly changing hair color, and shredded, ridiculous Lite Brite clothing still sit in my closet even after all these years. I’m in a real house now, but sometimes, when I see the A/C bill in July, I really miss that little dumpheap. More than that, I miss the Family. We were tighter than any crew around. All that would change sooner than we expected. Something about our ages made us think we’d always be living that way. The only one that may have seen this for foolishness was Meggs. She was always the wisest one, though Noffy seemed more that way from outward appearance. Yea, I really miss those days.

If you made it this far then I thank you very much for reading! It is wonderful that people seem interested in reading this and have supported me thus far in my fiction writing endeavors! Here is the link to the full text of the rough draft, all 119 pages of it. The link will only be live for a limited time as I will be removing the novel from all internet places during the rewriting and (fingers crossed!) publishing phases. Oh, feel free to skip the prologue as you've already read it here! =) Thanks again! You are all the reason I continue to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment