Monday, October 7, 2013

Nearly Halfway Done

Its been a crazy week.

I'm now about 22,000 words into my first novel. I've been trying to write at least a few thousand words each day but missed a couple days. Its really too bad because I could be a lot farther along. Still, I guess its good not to rush things.

Two of the days I didn't get any writing in were awesome in other ways. I got to stay with my fiancee at her house. Her parents were out of town as well as her sister and brother-in-law. It was fun as all hell. Her sister dropped her kids off on Saturday for Sammi to watch them. I was there too so I got to help her (some) babysit them. We had a great weekend. Unfortunately I had to work most of the time and was so tired I slept through a lot of the time we had, but it was great anyway.

Now, though, its back to writing every day! I have almost an entire week off from week which means that only school will get in the way of this novel being finished. My goal is now to have it completely finished by next Tuesday. Well, to have 50,000 words by then at least. The NaNoWriMo requirement for word count is a little low for a novel really. My book might go longer. In fact, I'm almost certain it will, the climax still hasn't been reached and that's usually around the middle of the book. I just hope the first 20,000 words aren't hopelessly dull. Its mostly introduction as this is likely going to wind up being a series. I just can't see this being finished in one book. Well, unless its a very long book. While I enjoy monstrous tomes like Stephen King's The Stand not everyone does so I'm trying to keep it to around 60,000 words or less.

In any case, I'm overjoyed to be writing again! My "hiatus" so to speak was far too long. I'd forgotten how great it feels to just make shit up and call it fiction. I can't wait to see what happens next myself every day. Sure, there are some vague plans buzzing around my skull, but nothing is set in stone. Even when I write it its subject to change during the rewrite later on. So, we'll see. When I'm over halfway done officially I may post an excerpt from the first few pages so keep your eyeballs peeled!

In Earnest,

Adam King - AKA Lykeios

P.S. To all my fellow NaNoWriMoers: Good luck with your books! Just keep writing! Even if it sucks, keep writing!


No comments:

Post a Comment